Thursday, March 29, 2012

Does SQL Server save any metadata in registry or home folder?

I have my SQL Server installation on drive c: and the databases on another
drive. My c drive got corrupted and I am planning to restore it from an old
backup. This means drive c will not be up to date.

Is there anything that SQL Server saves in the registry or in its home
folder that changes frequently? I am hoping that nothing does which means
the old backup will be good enough.

Although I think the default databases are in the c drive, I will try to
get them back from a recent backup.

John DalbergHi

SQL Server does use the registry, but the locations of the user databases
are not held there. If you don't have any databases on the C drive then you
could just install the software again, service pack it, and then re-attach
the mdf and ldf files see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071/ for more
information. If you don't restore master then you will need to recreate the
logins and then reconcile the orphaned users
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274188/. If you don't restore msdb you will
need to re-create jobs, dts packages etc.

If you do restore the C drive, then you could use the installation option
that allows you to rebuild the registry to specify new locations.

John

"John Dalberg" <nospam@.nospam.sss> wrote in message
news:20060115041931.065$4x@.newsreader.com...
>I have my SQL Server installation on drive c: and the databases on another
> drive. My c drive got corrupted and I am planning to restore it from an
> old
> backup. This means drive c will not be up to date.
> Is there anything that SQL Server saves in the registry or in its home
> folder that changes frequently? I am hoping that nothing does which means
> the old backup will be good enough.
> Although I think the default databases are in the c drive, I will try to
> get them back from a recent backup.
> John Dalberg

No comments:

Post a Comment