Thursday, March 29, 2012

Does SRS sql engine break things that used to work?

I've noticed that when I take stable SQL 2000 engines that are at SP3A where
the sqlservr executable is at build 8.00.760 and install SRS I get a new
build of the sql engine.
SQLServr.EXE build is 8.00.859 in SRS and things that used to work don't.
For example, stored procedure debug doesn't work at all on an SRS SQL Server.
I know I have seen a few other things that are now broke.
Does anyone know of any hotfixes that repair features that SRS breaks?RS doesn't do anything to the SQL Engine. If you are talkin about the 859
hotfix that we require in certain situations, there is a newer hotfix that
resolves the problem. You need to request it from product support. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831997.
Brian Welcker
Group Program Manager
Microsoft SQL Server
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Dan" <Dan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:22305D8C-975B-4283-BC11-8264CDDEEB1E@.microsoft.com...
> I've noticed that when I take stable SQL 2000 engines that are at SP3A
> where
> the sqlservr executable is at build 8.00.760 and install SRS I get a new
> build of the sql engine.
> SQLServr.EXE build is 8.00.859 in SRS and things that used to work don't.
> For example, stored procedure debug doesn't work at all on an SRS SQL
> Server.
> I know I have seen a few other things that are now broke.
> Does anyone know of any hotfixes that repair features that SRS breaks?|||Thank-you for the quick reponse Brian.
I think maybe I wasn't too clear on my question.
If I install SQL Server 2000 Standard and then take it up to SP3A the build
level of my SQL engine is 760.
However, if I then apply SQL Reporting Services on top of this installation
my SQL engine gets taken up to build 859. Maybe this is not directly related
to SRS, but it certainly takes place upon installation of SRS.
At that point I no longer have the capability to debug stored procs (I
believe thru the sp_dbidbg xp).
So the downside is that I have to make a choice between having SRS and then
losing the capability of stored proc debug or not having SRS.
If there is a hotfix that addresses that I would love to have it.
thanks,
dan
"Brian Welcker [MS]" wrote:
> RS doesn't do anything to the SQL Engine. If you are talkin about the 859
> hotfix that we require in certain situations, there is a newer hotfix that
> resolves the problem. You need to request it from product support. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831997.
>
> --
> Brian Welcker
> Group Program Manager
> Microsoft SQL Server
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> "Dan" <Dan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:22305D8C-975B-4283-BC11-8264CDDEEB1E@.microsoft.com...
> > I've noticed that when I take stable SQL 2000 engines that are at SP3A
> > where
> > the sqlservr executable is at build 8.00.760 and install SRS I get a new
> > build of the sql engine.
> >
> > SQLServr.EXE build is 8.00.859 in SRS and things that used to work don't.
> >
> > For example, stored procedure debug doesn't work at all on an SRS SQL
> > Server.
> >
> > I know I have seen a few other things that are now broke.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any hotfixes that repair features that SRS breaks?
>
>|||The RS setup proces does not touch the version of the SQL engine. We really
don't. We recommend a specific SQL engine hotfix during the installation
process that does do this. You would need to call product support for the
hotfix. I don't think it is generally downloadable.
--
Brian Welcker
Group Program Manager
Microsoft SQL Server
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Dan" <Dan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DA304849-A7E9-4A92-A39D-5E338227EF52@.microsoft.com...
> Thank-you for the quick reponse Brian.
> I think maybe I wasn't too clear on my question.
> If I install SQL Server 2000 Standard and then take it up to SP3A the
> build
> level of my SQL engine is 760.
> However, if I then apply SQL Reporting Services on top of this
> installation
> my SQL engine gets taken up to build 859. Maybe this is not directly
> related
> to SRS, but it certainly takes place upon installation of SRS.
> At that point I no longer have the capability to debug stored procs (I
> believe thru the sp_dbidbg xp).
> So the downside is that I have to make a choice between having SRS and
> then
> losing the capability of stored proc debug or not having SRS.
> If there is a hotfix that addresses that I would love to have it.
> thanks,
> dan
>
> "Brian Welcker [MS]" wrote:
>> RS doesn't do anything to the SQL Engine. If you are talkin about the 859
>> hotfix that we require in certain situations, there is a newer hotfix
>> that
>> resolves the problem. You need to request it from product support. See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831997.
>>
>> --
>> Brian Welcker
>> Group Program Manager
>> Microsoft SQL Server
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>> "Dan" <Dan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:22305D8C-975B-4283-BC11-8264CDDEEB1E@.microsoft.com...
>> > I've noticed that when I take stable SQL 2000 engines that are at SP3A
>> > where
>> > the sqlservr executable is at build 8.00.760 and install SRS I get a
>> > new
>> > build of the sql engine.
>> >
>> > SQLServr.EXE build is 8.00.859 in SRS and things that used to work
>> > don't.
>> >
>> > For example, stored procedure debug doesn't work at all on an SRS SQL
>> > Server.
>> >
>> > I know I have seen a few other things that are now broke.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of any hotfixes that repair features that SRS breaks?
>>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment